You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
{{ message }}
This repository was archived by the owner on Nov 9, 2017. It is now read-only.
Repository navigation
This repository was archived by the owner on Nov 9, 2017. It is now read-only.
Node.js Foundation Core Technical Committee (CTC) Meeting 2017-05-03 #117
The agenda comes from issues labelled with ctc-agenda across all of the repositories in the nodejs org. Please label any additional issues that should be on the agenda before the meeting starts.
Joining the meeting
Uberconference; participants should have the link & numbers, contact me if you don't.
Public participation
We stream our conference call straight to YouTube so anyone can listen to it live, it should start playing at https://www.youtube.com/c/nodejs+foundation/live when we turn it on. There's usually a short cat-herding time at the start of the meeting and then occasionally we have some quick private business to attend to before we can start recording & streaming. So be patient and it should show up.
Many of us will be on IRC in #node-dev on Freenode if you'd like to interact, we have a Q/A session scheduled at the end of the meeting if you'd like us to discuss anything in particular. @nodejs/collaborators in particular if there's anything you need from the CTC that's not worth putting on as a separate agenda item, this is a good place for it.
I'll be on a flight to Berlin. If they come to a decision point, I am +1 on util.promisify and the throwing on uncaught rejection. However, for the latter I have yet to get through the full pr.
and the throwing on uncaught rejection. However, for the latter I have yet to get through the full pr.
I'm surprised that had a ctc-agenda label applied immediately on opening with no explanation. I thought we generally discourage that. It's been open for 3 days and there seems to be robust discussion in the issue tracker about it, so it would seem to me that putting it on the agenda is premature. Was it an accident/mistake? /cc @Fishrock123?
The number of items on the ctc-review list continues to inch up. Any help getting resolution on these or closing ones that have in fact achieved resolution would be awesome. (Maybe some of you attending the Collaborators Summit this week can figure the right configuration of people to gather in a room to resolve some of these?)
For nodejs/node#12630 ("Uniform way to trigger debugger on first line"), we agreed to let it go back to the issue tracker for a week to see where things went.
It is now on the Diagnostics WG meeting agenda for May 11. I propose awaiting the result of the Diagnostics WG discussion. (Maybe they can try to talk about it in the tracker ahead of the meeting to get resolution sooner.) If I understand correctly, we want some resolution before Node.js 8.0.0. That would seem to give enough time?
@Trott ... If that's the earliest they can resolve it, then ok. But having resolution by the 9th would be best, especially if that requires any semver-major changes. If it can be done as a minor then there is much more flexibility.
nodejs/node#12701 Can likely be taken off ctc-review. I have an open pr that resolves it that will likely land in the next day or so unless there's an objection I haven't seen yet...
I'm surprised that had a ctc-agenda label applied immediately on opening with no explanation. I thought we generally discourage that. It's been open for 3 days and there seems to be robust discussion in the issue tracker about it, so it would seem to me that putting it on the agenda is premature. Was it an accident/mistake? /cc @Fishrock123?
These options have been discussed for about a year and collectively we don't seem to be able to decide so we might as well talk about it?
@Trott ... If that's the earliest they can resolve it, then ok. But having resolution by the 9th would be best, especially if that requires any semver-major changes. If it can be done as a minor then there is much more flexibility.
@jasnell If they're up for it, maybe @nodejs/diagnostics can make an effort to come to a resolution asynchronously via GitHub or email to get you the answer sooner. (And/or maybe this is something that can be hashed out at the Collaborators Summit?)
As far as I understand, deprecations are handled by the ctc.
Cool, thanks for the update. I think you're free to apply a deprecation number as long as you are confident you are not taking an existing number. I've never seen "assign a deprecation number" come up as a CTC item before that I can remember. But @jasnell wrote and mostly manages the deprecation policy, so I'll defer to him on that.
It looks like it has the necessary number of CTC approvals (2) as well as a third "no objection". I'm pretty sure the license boilerplate needs to be restored, but I'll defer again to @jasnell or @williamkapke on that.
@jasnell is the one who added the ctc-review label and also the one who said he wants it to land before 8.0.0, so maybe check in with him if you're at the summit with him this week and get it landed? :-D
Assign the deprecation number when the pr lands. Deprecations are semver major so make sure you have at least two ctc members signing off and ask for objections from ctc one last time before landing. That's pretty much it.
The license boilerplate only needs to be in the original files. It does not need to be in any created files or existing files that no longer contain any of the original code.
Six people showed up for the meeting. We talked about things on the agenda, but no official business really happened. The meeting was semi-canceled. I'm going to close this as I don't think usable minutes are going to be produced. Feel free to comment if you think it should be re-opened.
Activity
bmeck commentedon May 1, 2017
I'll be there for once!
jasnell commentedon May 1, 2017
I'll be on a flight to Berlin. If they come to a decision point, I am +1 on util.promisify and the throwing on uncaught rejection. However, for the latter I have yet to get through the full pr.
Trott commentedon May 1, 2017
I'm surprised that had a
ctc-agendalabel applied immediately on opening with no explanation. I thought we generally discourage that. It's been open for 3 days and there seems to be robust discussion in the issue tracker about it, so it would seem to me that putting it on the agenda is premature. Was it an accident/mistake? /cc @Fishrock123?Trott commentedon May 1, 2017
The number of items on the
ctc-reviewlist continues to inch up. Any help getting resolution on these or closing ones that have in fact achieved resolution would be awesome. (Maybe some of you attending the Collaborators Summit this week can figure the right configuration of people to gather in a room to resolve some of these?)Emeritus status for CTCsrc: add require transform pipelineGYPWGTrott commentedon May 1, 2017
For nodejs/node#12630 ("Uniform way to trigger debugger on first line"), we agreed to let it go back to the issue tracker for a week to see where things went.
It is now on the Diagnostics WG meeting agenda for May 11. I propose awaiting the result of the Diagnostics WG discussion. (Maybe they can try to talk about it in the tracker ahead of the meeting to get resolution sooner.) If I understand correctly, we want some resolution before Node.js 8.0.0. That would seem to give enough time?
refack commentedon May 1, 2017
AFAIK @jasnell set the node8 cutoff to May 9th, right?
FWIW I'll try to get the vendors to give explicit preference on future syntax...
jasnell commentedon May 1, 2017
@Trott ... If that's the earliest they can resolve it, then ok. But having resolution by the 9th would be best, especially if that requires any semver-major changes. If it can be done as a minor then there is much more flexibility.
jasnell commentedon May 1, 2017
nodejs/node#12701 Can likely be taken off ctc-review. I have an open pr that resolves it that will likely land in the next day or so unless there's an objection I haven't seen yet...
refack commentedon May 1, 2017
IMHO you can exchange
regression: 3rd party debuggers are incompatible with node8 nighlies
with it's solving PR
inspector: restore --debug-brk alias
for discussion on the current regression.
The wider issues is covered in
Uniform way to trigger debugger on first line
Sorry for the brain dumps in both 😳 the more recent comments should be decent summaries...
bnoordhuis commentedon May 1, 2017
Unless anyone speaks up in the next 24 hours or so, I'm going to remove the label again from issues that have had it for more than two or three weeks.
Fishrock123 commentedon May 1, 2017
These options have been discussed for about a year and collectively we don't seem to be able to decide so we might as well talk about it?
mhdawson commentedon May 1, 2017
It's not clear why this one is on the agenda:
I think the decision was made to stick with 1.02 for Node version 8. Is this to discuss for version 9 or is it on the agenda for some other reason ?
mhdawson commentedon May 1, 2017
Its going to be too early for me even though I will be in the UK.
Trott commentedon May 2, 2017
@jasnell If they're up for it, maybe @nodejs/diagnostics can make an effort to come to a resolution asynchronously via GitHub or email to get you the answer sooner. (And/or maybe this is something that can be hashed out at the Collaborators Summit?)
mcollina commentedon May 2, 2017
Regarding stream: move prefixed files into internal/streams it is ready to go, it just need approval and a deprecation number. As far as I understand, deprecations are handled by the ctc.
Trott commentedon May 2, 2017
Cool, thanks for the update. I think you're free to apply a deprecation number as long as you are confident you are not taking an existing number. I've never seen "assign a deprecation number" come up as a CTC item before that I can remember. But @jasnell wrote and mostly manages the deprecation policy, so I'll defer to him on that.
It looks like it has the necessary number of CTC approvals (2) as well as a third "no objection". I'm pretty sure the license boilerplate needs to be restored, but I'll defer again to @jasnell or @williamkapke on that.
@jasnell is the one who added the
ctc-reviewlabel and also the one who said he wants it to land before 8.0.0, so maybe check in with him if you're at the summit with him this week and get it landed? :-Djasnell commentedon May 2, 2017
Assign the deprecation number when the pr lands. Deprecations are semver major so make sure you have at least two ctc members signing off and ask for objections from ctc one last time before landing. That's pretty much it.
jasnell commentedon May 2, 2017
The license boilerplate only needs to be in the original files. It does not need to be in any created files or existing files that no longer contain any of the original code.
joyeecheung commentedon May 2, 2017
Have to miss this one because I will be on my way to Berlin😢
Trott commentedon May 3, 2017
My FOMO about Berlin continues to intensify...
evanlucas commentedon May 3, 2017
I'm going to try hard to make it tonight, but I may fall asleep.
Trott commentedon May 3, 2017
Six people showed up for the meeting. We talked about things on the agenda, but no official business really happened. The meeting was semi-canceled. I'm going to close this as I don't think usable minutes are going to be produced. Feel free to comment if you think it should be re-opened.
ChALkeR commentedon May 4, 2017
Sorry, I missed it — it overlapped with my travel to Berlin.